Thursday, February 17, 2011

buy less, buy better!

i realised i didnt set any resolutions for 2011.
perhaps i was too caught up with activities in dec mth.
or i was just too depressed with the busy jan working mth coupled with the chinese zodiac forecast that bunny year will be a sucky one for roosters.
but if there is 1 resolution worth keeping for the new year, it will be this one:-
BUY LESS, BUY BETTER.

especially for me who have plans for this year which all involve cash outlays. @_@

#1: no surprise to most who know me, hubbi and me have plans to shift back to the east!
hopefully by end of this year.
so the more we save for the new house, the merrier!

#2: i have been toying with the idea of getting myself a good classic watch when i enter the next stage of my life:-
turning 30- for the longest time.
my trusty omega has served me well for the past 4 years+ but i guess im ready for another one. :P
thanks to a husband who knows a wee bit about watches, im able to narrow down pretty fast to the brand/model that is suitable for me.

initially, the frivolous me wanted a J12. who can resist such a chic-looking watch!
that is, until (almost all) my friends started protesting against my preferred choice!
what ceramic looks like plastic lah.
what quartz watches suck lah.
what chanel is a fashion brand and overpriced lah. blah blah blah bleh.
sigh. the quartz part is actually also big no-no to myself even.
so i went intensive window-shopping and research for a few weeks on brands like cartier, rolex, AP even.
eventually, i settled for this beauty!!


Rolesor (everose gold/stainless steel) oyster bracelet,
everose gold domed bezel,
boy size - 31mm
pink dial

pardon my detailed specs of the watch, i did a lot of research one ok!
can come ask me for some advice if you interested in getting a rolex time piece wahaha. very thich-skinned me.
rolex has so many combinations that its mind-boggling to just decide on a design to buy!
AND if you only interested in buying from authorised dealers (aka hour glass, cortina etc), all of them have limited pieces (normally all on display in the shop already)!
AND you cant order a specific design unlike other brands like AP/panerai etc.
SO its really a hunting game for rolex.
i wonder if the pricing is controlled by limiting the supply? must be!

anyway, i was quite specific on my watch being boy-size, having 2 tone rose gold/steel and most importantly of all, a pink face!
must highlight here that this shade of pink is only available to rolesor everose bracelet to compliment the rose gold. wahahaha.
frivolous special feature to bullshit frivolous buyers like me!
SO when i saw this baby one day, i decided to mai tu liao!
as the story goes, the rest is history.
this is a VERY early birthday present from myself according to candice. LOL.

so now im a berry happy woman with a berry light wallet.
oh well.
psst.. i see see look look for my next watch already! wahaha.
but getting it will only be another 5 years or more down the road!

#3: travel!
at the end of every year, irritating me will pester the husband on our upcoming new year travel plans!
so for 2011, the tentative plans are HK trip in Mar (confirmed!) and hokaiddo (fingers crossed that we can do it!) in Q3!
money printer spoilt for the time being, so i need to save up!
im treating my mum for this HK trip too. and this auntie requested only for SQ and hotels in TST. @_@
两人份的费用真不少!

so how should i curb the shopaholic in me to stop buying and start saving?!
as i said: BUY LESS BUY BETTER.
i figure i should buy stuff that add value instead of bulk to my wardrobe.
true, buying tons does bring me joy.
but to be honest, most of those impulse buys i bought are very similar to what i already have.
not to mention some of them are a lil' ill-fitting, low quality or stayed hidden in the wardrobe for the longest time!

i still do shopping - the joy of browsing and searching for items that suit you cant be missed!
just that i check-out items much lesser since the start of the new year! :)
so how am i doing so far?

jan - coat from zara is a steal. slashed 60% from original price and i added a chio-looking cold-wear to my wardrobe!
previously, i only layer on the usual run-of-the-mill cardis or a boring bach coldwear jacket when i go travelling to cold countries.
so value or bulk? value, definitely!

feb: my watch!! definitely a good investment.
the month is not over yet. lets see what else i'll be getting to update my wardrobe!

hope some of you out there can try and benefit from this new resolution of mine too!

5 comments:

hiPPo said...

*pat on your back!* for the beautiful early birthday pressie! hahaha.. i was telling my hb just 2 days before i read your entry dat i m sick of my watch. i still love it la but sianz lor.. so am on the prowl too.. must squeeze on the moolah 1st though.. (no money no talk man.. sianz).. hahaha! wish me luck & speed! hiaks..

ecookie said...

did u buy toto for tonight!? HUAT ah! then can buy anything u want!! :)

hiPPo said...

let's huat huat together then babe! =D

Emily said...

babe!!! I love your new watch!! I also got it in Feb last year for my early early 30s pressie. hehe.

and I do agree on the part that retail shops have limited designs. got mine at hour glass. I never really research much. just get the classic look. keke.

can share how much you got yours? :)

ecookie said...

emily: i got mine from hour glass too! dare not buy from unauthorised dealer though i know they give much better disc %! retail price for my watch is $13.5k less the norm 15% disc for rolex. but clever me used manhattan card to buy it so additonal 5% off! *wee*

Daisypath Anniversary Years PicDaisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
Daisypath Anniversary Years PicDaisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers