Tuesday, March 14, 2006

music, memories and somemore.

warning! long entry ahead. pls avoid if you find swimming words a headache.

it's amazing how some songs managed to take me on a journey down memory lane. been listening non-stop to my MP3 player whenever i was on the go these 2 days. i know how some people associate pictures or even scents with past events, but songs do the trick for me. some songs are more precious to me because they accompanied me through certain phrases of my life. i've since stopped down-loading MP3 from the net ever since uni days (?), hence the songs in my MP3 are mostly old. okie, been listening to these few songs over the past 2 days and each has a story behind it, at least to me!

Enigma - Return To Innocence
i remember how i fell in love with the tune of this song while working part-time in a small bookstore at my neighburhood then. i was in sec 2. i bought the cassette with my first pay and found out the rest of the album sucks. lol~
i associated this song with alot of things. it was widely rumored then that enigma songs are satanic and it seems to be the case from the graphics in the lyrics page and lyrics content of other songs. whatever the case, the lyrics for this song strikes a chord in me.
"If you want, then start to laugh
If you must, then start to cry
Be yourself don't hide
Just believe in destiny.
Don't care what people say
Just follow your own way
Don't give up and use the chance
To return to innocence."

i love the part where he (yes, enigma is a male singer!) croons and croons at the end of the song. very haunting. i remember the time when me & my best friend then sang the same part at the top of our lungs at a playground at bedok interchange in the night. we were only 14. lol~ she was still my best friend now and im not even sure if she remembers that night. but i like that night. sometimes, enjoying a nice song with someone dear can be very satisfying. :)

i remember how in awe i was when i first saw the MV for this song. it was really innovative then as the scenes were all playing in reverse to match the theme of "return to innocence". but 10 year later, we see coldplay doing the same thing with "the scientist" MV. funny how trends repeat themselves. sometimes, i think innovation is dead. everything is just a product of creativity.

Goro Inagaki
okie, this is not a song but a singer. in fact, he's a member of SMAP, the ever popular boy band from Japan. i knew about him before SMAP the band which is a wonder given SMAP popularity. heck, i know him even before Kimura Takuya ( the other member of SMAP)!
In case, you've no inkling who-so-ever is Takuya, THIS is him!


and this is Goro Inagaki.

Goro

As you can see, he's not fantabulously handsome but he did managed to steal some hearts back in my Sec 3 days. it all started from this japanese serial "20岁的约束" i still remember a particular curly-hair of mine and me were very mad about him. we learnt that he's a singer too hence we went to the music store (was that music junction?! i cant believe music junction was already up and functioning 10 years ago?!) to look for his CD and realised then he belonged to this band - SMAP.

lol~ little did we know SMAP is like H-U-G-E in Japan and in years to come, very big in the rest of Asia too. we were like swooning over Goro and hecking care SMAP & Kimura Takuya! madness!

why the long chunk of entry above on SMAP? it's all due to a repeating SMAP DVD ad for their recent concert in Toyko. reminded me of Goro, my curly-hair friend and those days when i was in Sec 3 & 4. i realised i miss those years the most of all my schooling years. the most. my afternoons after school are spent without fail at bedok or tampines interchange.

buying 3-4 bags of Mac large fries and sharing with friends. time spent at arcade centres. watching movies at tamp GV & century square. :) phone calls that stretch to hours and late into the night. i've the greatest bunch of friends then. though we drifted apart now, which is really sad...:(, i'm really glad we had fun back then.

ever wonder why do people get very close together for a period of time and started drifting apart after sometimes? i wonder that alot. all relationships are the same, all need effort and time. sometimes, people just drift apart and there's really nothing much one can do except for the occasional nostalgia moments like now. :(
im getting sad and i dont like this. let's move on!

Shaggy: Angel
"Girl, you're my angel, you're my darling angel
Closer than my peeps you are to me, baby
Shorty, you're my angel, you're my darling angel
Girl, you're my friend when I'm in need, lady"

whenever i heard this song, i think of my uni days. for (1) , it was really popular back in my uni year 1 days and (2) a certain ex sang the chorus part into my voicemail back then. i always associated him with my early uni days. those wild days before i met my dear dear, heh.

those days represented everything that i dont wish to repeat. let's just say i did certain things i aint too proud of and i let some people and myself down at times. sigh. not saying im a saint now, but the frequency of screw-ups then is atrocious! :P
anyway, it was through this song that i learnt the meaning of "peeps"! yup, at the age of 19. ha.

Daftpunk: One more time
"One more time
Music's got me feeling so free
We gonna celebrate
Celebrate and dance are free"

i can tell you here, this song is a stroke of genius. aside those memories attached to this song for me, this song itself is marvelous. i'm sure that if i listen to it like 20 years down the road, it'll still get my booty shaking!

lotsa memories with this song. heard it in a damn crowded pub in downtown tokyo. love it at first hearing. bought the cd first thing when i touched down in singaore then. the song made me cry for almost a good 6 months everytime i heard it in a club.
remember most vividly those days back in hall when my hall mates and i will just crank up the volume in our room and dance like no tomorrow. yes, only to this song. to the point that we can mesmorise the lyrics (aint too difficult since this song has limited lyrics, ha).

i miss hall days. my hall mates are a great bunch. they still are today. but i feel that i've drifted apart from them as well. partly my fault and partly due to working life. its getting harder to meet and my time after work is so limited given that i've to spread it between my dear dear, family, colleagues & other friends. meeting up with hall friends is getting virtually impossible. once or twice a month is considered really good!

i miss the time where i can just trugged back to hall and sleep the afteroon away after lectures. i miss those late nights chatted away. i miss buying breadtalk from jurong point and gawd, i even miss taking 179. my days in the hall were perfect. well, near-perfect, other than my frivolous ways which spoilt some relations and created some tensions along the way. bleh, i rather not reminiscence too much here!

one thing with bad memories, how do you all deal with it. supress them or simply forget them? me, i chose to learn from them and shiver in their presence.... ;p

Lifehouse: Take me away
"take me away
take me away
I've got nothing left to say
just take me away "

was listening to this song while waiting for my bus home yesterday. had a really busy & lousy day at work yesterday. received a farewell card & 2 chocolates in my pigeon hole from a colleague who just left the firm last friday. inside my pigeon hole lies another farewell card from another colleague who left last month. sigh, as i popped one chocolate in my mouth, i turned around to look for my peers to lament how sucky it is to stay in the firm when everyone is leaving (which means we are being left behind!).

to my immense sadness, i saw no familiar face around. my only colleague who is closer to me was down at client's place yesterday so i was quite alone in my office in the metaphorical sense. in the end, all i can do was popped another chocolate in my mouth and continue working till it's time to knock off. how sad.

and this song is totally so applicable when i heard it in the evening. (not entirely applicable, just the chorus. the song in entirety is very much about a guy needing a girl, ha.) i just want to get away from my current job. its making me way too depressed for my liking.

so take me away.

p/s: Lifehouse lead singer's voice has the best soft rock quality to it. anyone who heard "hanging by a moment" by him will totally agree with me. and one can never guess he look like he belongs to a boy-band! dont believe me? see for yourself!


U2: Walk on
"Leave it behind
You've got to leave it behind
All that you fashion
All that you make
All that you build
All that you break
All that you measure
All that you steal
All this you can leave behind
All that you reason
All that you sense
All that you speak
All you dress up
All that you scheme..."

I love bono. cos he's a darn good song-writer. his voice is so full of soul & depth. he's an activitist for many worthy causes. and i love this song.

it made me bought their album (which has fabulous songs like walk on, beautiful day, elevation etc) in my uni 2nd year. i remember sitting at the cafe at jurong point interchange raving about the meaning of U2's lyrics to my dear dear (not my boyfriend yet then). i mistook his nonchalence as polite listening. man, was i wrong?! till today, dear dear still doesnt share the passion i have for songs, movies and other things alike. but for these areas where our mind have problems meeting, we do compliment each other in other areas. ha.

this song inspires me alot. i feel that no matter what difficulties or problems we face in our life, we are all equipped with the ability to walk on. so walk on we should. :)

it's been a disgustingly long entry! i'll be shocked if anyone can read through the whole thing. dont think thats possible. ha. i've to hit the sack!! its 12+ already!

No comments:

Daisypath Anniversary Years PicDaisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
Daisypath Anniversary Years PicDaisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers