Wednesday, December 11, 2013

taiwan/hk trip day 7 - 九份, 野柳 & 基隆

we hired a cabbie to bring us out for a day trip!
yes, though we were staying 4 nights in taipei, we will be out of the city for a good 1.5days!
one of the day will be today where we are heading for yeliu, jiufen and keelung!
 
being kiasu me, I booked the very popular driver - meeky yang - like few months back!
and his popularity is really no joke.
we have people walking up to him at attractions lamenting that they wanted to book him but cant get him...
 
anyway meeky came to pick us at our hotel in his Toyota wish cab at 830am. *yawn*
upon knowing that we had not eaten breakkie yet, he drove to a nearby eatery for us to tabao sandwich and tea.
the egg & ham sandwich was good!
 
we reached yeliu in less than an hour time.
it was very different from the last time I was here (which was 26 years ago!! :P).
I thought it was very commercialized but definitely easier to navigate compared to last time.
 
 yeah, with the "famous" queen's head. its neck is getting thinner.
I wonder how long can she last....
 
it was pretty amazing at how these rock formations come about.
the waves must be pretty strong and big to form all these nature forms so far inwards into the mainland.
impressive.
 
 left: mushroom formation
there were so many Chinese tourists climbing all over them that the Taiwanese "guards" were shouting non-stop:"get down! don't touch!"...
bottom right: the famous fairy shoe!!
I cant believe its 100% natural. im sure someone sculpt it at night when visibility is low. ha.

next, off to jiufen!!
I especially love this place and it's one of the highlights for my 2005 Taipei trip.
I always wanted the husband to come here for I feel the traditional and authentic feel of this place is very hard to come by.
and the view is very nice!
reminds me of santorini.

and the old street is chocked full of food!!
we settled our lunch easily here.
*yumyum*
and the same cuttlefish store is still there at the main road!
I did what I did in 2005. bought a packet when I left jiufen. haha.

 tell me, the view is good or not?!
the old street is super duper crowded and it didn't really help that it was raining before we reached.
so imagine wet floor and humid weather - not exactly fantastic
but I guess we should be thankful that the rain stopped just before we reached jiufem...
 
next stop, Meeky brought us to this attraction point where we get to see a waterfall which is greenish/brownish in color.
think its due to the presence of copper in the water.
and a lookout point where we get to see the colored water joined the ocean and 2 tone colors in the sea at the merger point.
pretty interesting.

all wrapped up in the cold except the crazy husband
 

 people who came here to fish.
I totally have no idea how they managed to climb up to where they are!!
super dangerous if you ask me!
 

 
we went to a museum that shows us on the gold excavating activities that made jiufen a popular town back in the past.
and we saw a 200kg+ gold bar!!
if only we can bring it home! :D
 
example of train track which brings the gold down the hill
bottom left: the photo doesn't do any justice to the big gold bar!!
 
and by now, it was almost 5+pm and we were all very cui...and hungry.
luckily keelung is only a short drive away and we were ready to settle our dinner at its famous 廟口夜市!
we spent only an hour plus walking and eating around the night market..
there is nothing much at keelung.
after dinner, we were all super glad to be driven back to hotel sweet hotel for nice long baths.
I swear the boys snored in their sleep after the long tiring day! :D

 
top: I like this photo taken by hubbi. and if you are curious, im holding on to the packet of cuttlefish I bought at keelung. LOL eating non-stop.
bottom: one of the many "snacks" we had in keelung..
 
our day trip actually includes to shifen as well to light up the sky-lantern.
but I specifically asked Meeky to skip it cos I don't find it particularly appealing and I wanted to enjoy the above locations at a more leisure pace given the boys.
also, we wanted to head back to the hotel earlier by 7+pm rather than a full 12 hours day trip!
that will be too draining!
but for those who want to max out a day trip, shifen is normally included in such day trips to yeliu jiufen etc.
 
tomorrow: time to reward ourselves with good food.
I already know where we were going to eat before we started the trip! :P

No comments:

Daisypath Anniversary Years PicDaisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
Daisypath Anniversary Years PicDaisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers